Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are

I just finished reading Nirvana: The Chosen Rejects.

I was really skeptical after the first chapter was just about how this author was getting ready to see them play a charity show, and how excited they were. But it quickly switched over to start at the beginning of Kurt's life, and his early years. From then on, the book is simply follows Kurt growing up and then eventually meeting Krist and starting a band and goes all the way until Kurt's early passing.

The book is extremely factual. I found that very pleasing though. For most of the shows that took place, there's a mention of where and when it happened, what songs were played and how the band performed. There's also explanations regarding the meaning behind the songs, details on tours and of course, the behind-the-scenes drama.

What makes this whole book so detailed, is that the majority of the book is comprised of quotes straight from the band, their friends, family, business associates, fans and other journalists. These quotes mostly come from tv appearances, radio and magazine interviews, and other books already written.

There was, though, what seemed to be some push of opinion when it came to the event of Kurt's mental state. It seemed as though the author didn't attempt to think that the people around him (ie: Courtney) had any negative involvement in Kurt's health, and that he was just suicidal from the beginning. Now I know facts are facts, but at the same time, you never know what facts aren't mentioned. Also, some details in the crime scene that he describe contradicts what the police had in their report.

I would recommend this book mostly for the fact that it has the most extensive record of Nirvana's music in it. The last 40 pages or so, list off details on each album (how many copies of each versions were released, plus all of the different subtleties within the same album), a list of compilation appearances by each member and a list of every single song written by there band, including all credits for each part of the song, which albums it can be found on and a quick synopsis of the song.

I think that this book compliments a few other books that I've enjoyed reading on Nirvana, like Heavier Than Heaven and Kurt Cobain's Journals. The latter of which I wish was never released. It just seemed so impersonal and only raised more questions regarding every action that happened in Kurt's life.

Finally, I may be biased, but I was hoping for more about Dave in the book. There just wasn't a lot mentioned about him.

* Kurt Cobain

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 Response to "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are"

  1. Braedy says:

    Now if you don't like their music, would someone reading it appreciate the book?

    mikey b. says:

    Solid question. I would almost have to lean towards no.

    Their music was around me as I grew up, so I easily became a fan and obviously found it interesting to read. But from past experiences, I've always found it to be a struggle to read, or even watch, anything that didn't really appeal to me, despite it's place in history, or lack-there-of.

    Though, if someone was looking for a quick and easy read on the band, for whatever reason, I would almost say that this would be the one to pick up. It's must shorter then any other book that I've read, yet is full of facts.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger